The Bible says that you should not covet your neighbor’s wife. However, there is nothing in the world that says you cannot covet your neighbor’s wife’s buttery-soft designer handbag! God must have foreseen that handbags will become the next apple and took pity on womankind. (Unfortunately, not on mankind because they never could understand the fuss about expensive bags yet they have to foot the bill more times than they care to)
For womankind, this is fortunate as the allure of top-of-the-line handbags borders on mortally sinful proportions, with celebrities like Nicole Richie and Victoria Beckham going gaga and spending thousands on Balenciaga and Hermes Birkin bags, respectively. And of course, fashion-forward woman that you are, you simply have to lay your French-manicured hands on the latest designer handbag and parade it around town on your spray-tanned arm. Wouldn’t every woman and gay man in your clique be envious of you?
Fool and Fake Goes Hand in Hand
In your desire to be the subject of envy, you can be made a fool with a fake designer handbag. Indeed, it is the axiom of all things designer – for every genuine article, there is a replica item. There goes your hard-earned money and your self-respect, not to mention the envious ohs and ahs!
Other than actually purchasing from the designer store itself, you can look for these signs when you next purchase a designer handbag to determine if it is the genuine article or a fake item:
* Authentic designer handbags have control cards and authenticity certification, the digits of which should match the numbers printed on the lining.
* Genuine designer handbags have the hallmarks of meticulous attention to the smallest details. You should check for uneven stitching, hanging threads, frayed corners, zipper kinks, strap malfunctions, and mismatched zipper to thread to handbag color scheme. If you see any of these signs, there is increased probability that it is a fake.
* High-quality, buttery-soft leather and suede are the main materials of true-blue designer handbags. You need to look out for very smooth, very shiny, and very plastic-looking leather because that is a sure sign that the bag is a fake.
* Most bona fide designer handbags never let the lettering of the logo run into the seam lines and never have spelling mistakes. Watch out for bad translations!
* With perfectionism comes a high standard that must be followed on each and every designer handbag that comes out of the factory. Thus, every handbag will have the same number of stitches and stitch length, the same color and dimensions, the same logo and patterns. But not to fret. Designer handbags are usually in limited editions so you know that you will not see the same handbag on every Tom, Dick and Harry’s wife and sister.
When you have determined that the bag is the real McCoy and shelled out your disposable income on your most coveted designer handbag, it behooves you to take care of it in every way possible. Of course, this does not mean putting it on a pedestal since you have to parade it around town and carry your stuff in, but it does deserve a place of honor in your closet!
To Cherish and To Hold
Your designer handbag should be accorded proper respect due to a beautifully expensive item. You have to cherish it like you would treasure your Manolo Blahnik three-inch shoes and Yves Saint Lauren vintage dresses. After purchasing your handbag, immediately apply a leather protector to protect it against stains. This will allow you to easily remove stains that might set in otherwise.
No matter what you do with your handbag and what stuff you put in it, be very sure not to let runny makeup, liquid food and other oil-based products come into direct contact with it. If stains do appear, you will ruin a perfect bag when you apply corrosive cleaning products that contain chemicals and detergents. You better take it to professional cleaning experts if you want your handbag to return looking as fabulous as the first day you cradled it in your arms.
If your problem is laying your hands on the money to afford your dream designer bag (or designer bags, for that matter), isn’t that what your work and your man are for? Employ all the feminine will and wiles in your power and you will not covet your neighbor’s wife’s designer handbags any longer!